Poly Cystic ovarian syndrome or disease was earlier known as Stein- Leventhal syndrome. Polycystic ovary syndrome is a most common condition of reproductive age, in which a woman has an imbalance of a female sex hormones. This results in adverse effect on multiple organ systems and may results in the serum lipid, anovulation, abnormal uterine bleeding, and cysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant and other health changes.
PSOS affecting 6 to 10% of women in reproductive age group. It is poorly understood and managed problem. The understanding of the pathophysiology of this syndrome has undergone dramatic changes even since it was first described by Stein and leventhal in 1935.
According to Ayurveda concept, PCOS can be correlated with Artava Kshaya. Currently, a great emphasis is being laid on insulin resistance in patients of PCOD. Insulin resistance causes hyperinsulinaemia, which further is a chronic hyper androgenic state particularly testosterone and androsterone and by decreasing the sex hormone globulin concentration. The high level of androgenic hormones interfere with the pituitary ovarian axis leading to increased LH levels, anovulation, amenorrhoea, menstrual irregularities and infertility.
What are the causes of PCOS?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is linked to changes in the level of certain hormones:
- Oestrogen and progesterone (these are main female hormones that help a woman’s ovaries to release eggs)
- Androgen (a male hormone present in small amount in women)
In PCOS, mature eggs are not released from the ovaries, instead they can form a very small cyst in the ovary ultimately these changes can contribute to infertility.
Ayurvedic Samprapti of PCOD?
Guilt> fear> not following Sadavrita> blockage in Manovaha srotas> Mental ama> lazy> dullness of mind> frustration> hormonal imbalance> PCOD.
Fertility problems experienced by women with PCOS?
It may be related to the elevated hormone insulin or glucose levels all of which can interfere with implantation as well as development of embryo. Increased LH hormone reduces the changes of conception and increase miscarriage. Additionally, abnormal insulin level may also contribute to poor egg quality making conception more difficult.
What are the symptoms of PCOS?
- Amenorrhoea or frequent menstruation
- Irregular bleeding
- Infrequent or no ovulation
- Multiple immature follicles
- Increased level of male hormones
- Male pattern baldness or thickening of hair
- Excess facial and body hair growth
- Acne that gets worsen
- Oily skin or dandruff
- Dark coloured patches of skin especially on neck, underarms, groin and breast
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Increased weight or obesity
- Type 2 diabetes
- Lipid abnormality and high blood pressure
- Enlargement of clitoris
Lab - Investigations
Estrogen, LH, FSH, Blood sugar, Lipid profile and Pelvic Ultrasonography (USG).
Management of PCOS through Ayurveda?
It is not difficult to treat polycystic ovarian syndrome with Ayurveda medicines. Many herbal medicines are well documented in standard Indian Ayuvedic text for use in such conditions. Your doctor should list the associated symptoms with PCOS patients and give an Ayurvedic prescription accordingly. Patients who followed drug, weight loss treatment, specially diet, exercise and Lifestyle modifications revealed more improvement as compared to those who do not, thus sustaining that weight reduction plays a significant role in restoration of ovulation in obese women with PCOS.
Panchakarma for PCOS management
- Vamana: Vamana helps in balancing hormones, boosts fertility and helps weight loss.
- Virechana: Virechana is extremely effective in obesity, irregular or heavy menstruation, hormonal imbalance, Skin pigmentation and the multitude of other symptoms triggered by PCOS.
- Basti: it is the most effective Panchakarma therapy in PCOS patients for boosting fertility and ensuring healthy conception.
- Udvartana: it involves rigorous dry powder massage to the entire body, by enhancing circulation of blood and lymph, udvartana helps to detoxify skin.
Recommended diet and lifestyle
- Do regular exercise
- Low calorie diet
- In obese patients: vigorous exercise, asana, pranayam
- Avoid bakery items and fast food.