Some of the home remedies for an addiction to alcohol include the consumption of grapes, bitter gourd, apples, celery, dates, almonds, evening primrose, ginseng, milk thistle, dandelion, skullcap, licorice roots, fruit juices, and a balanced diet. These home remedies have proven to be useful in many cases all over the world.
Although alcohol is one of the most common causes of many fatal diseases, such as liver cirrhosis, it continues to be a favorite beverage of many people. While severe alcohol addiction needs specialized treatments, one can also follow simple home-based remedies as well. There are many popular home remedies for addiction, which include the following:
HOME REMEDIES FOR ADDICTION TO ALCOHOL
- In Ayurveda (Emblic Myrobalan) Amla fruit is known as Liver stimulant. Juice of Amla is very effective for alcohol addicted person it detoxifies the liver and body channels and also improves the immune system.
- Grapes: Grapes are one of the most popular and effective home remedies for controlling alcoholic addiction. Whenever you feel like having a drink of alcohol, drink a glass of grape juice or eat a few grapes instead. Since grapes contain the purest form of an alcohol-making agent in them, they serve as a great alternative for alcoholics. Grapes are rich in potassium, which helps to maintain an alkaline blood balance, along with stimulating the kidneys. Grapes have astonishing cleansing power in removing toxins from the liver and they are said to reduce the chances of cancer. The well-known book Hepatology by Erwin Kuntz and Hans-Dieter Kuntz also states that grapes are one of the most effective cures for an addiction to alcohol.
- Bitter Gourd (Karela): Drink some bitter gourd juice mixed with buttermilk every morning to curb addiction. The juice obtained from the leaves of bitter gourd is a good cure for alcohol addiction. In addition, bitter gourd juice has the capacity to repair damaged liver cells.
- Licorice Root (Mulethi): This is a powerful antioxidant and antibody stimulator, which improves the overall functioning of the respiratory and liver functions. It is used as an effective home remedy in fighting alcoholic addiction. Licorice root is regarded as an important herb for treating kidney ailments and is also recommended for the liver and respiratory tract. Licorice root’s antioxidant, antiviral, and antibody-stimulating properties make it a liver protector and a detoxifier.
- Fruit Juices: Include lots of fruit juice in your diet, because it can control the craving for consuming hard alcohol.
- Balanced Diet: A balanced diet, which encompasses all essential nutrients from vegetables, cereals, whole grains, nuts, and sprouts, among others, is beneficial. Avoid eating too much white flour, strong condiments, meat, and sugar.
- Timeless Words of Wisdom: True to the adage “prevention is better than a cure”, the same holds true for alcohol addiction. Never start this habit and maintain a healthy lifestyle with adequate exercise, well-complemented by a balanced diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Apples: Apples have been an age old remedy to cure addiction. Apples not only remove the toxins caused due to alcohol consumption, but also reduce the urge to consume hard alcohol.
- Celery (Ajwain) : Celery is an excellent home remedy against addiction, because the juice obtained from celery makes alcoholics sober. It must be mixed with water and consumed daily for over a month for best results.
- Dates (Munnakka): Dates are easily accessible and are quite effective in curing alcoholic addiction. Rubbed dates in water consumed daily can significantly improve the addiction symptoms of people suffering from this disorder.
- Raw Almonds: These are useful in reducing an addiction to alcohol.
- Ginseng: Both American and Asian ginseng can easily break down the alcohol in your body and flush out the toxins. Research studies have also proved that Ginseng can reduce the rate of alcohol absorption in your stomach.
- Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum): This herb is an excellent home remedy for treating liver diseases caused by alcoholism. This herb enhances liver functions, along with repairing the damage caused to the liver. More popular as a liver tonic, milk thistle has the active ingredient of silymarin, which can repair the damage caused by alcohol or drug addiction, hepatitis, and other toxins.
- Dandelion/Dugdhafeni (Taraxacum officinale): This is another popular home remedy for alcoholism, which enables you to reduce the ill effects of alcoholism, along with rejuvenating the liver tissues. Dandelion also facilities the normal production of bile and stimulates its flow. It contains the polysaccharide insulin, which enhances the body’s immunity and the production of white blood cells.